We are here to assist all victims and survivors identified in the Victims and Survivors (Northern Ireland) Order 2006.
This means that we can provide support to those who have been affected by the Conflict/Troubles in the following ways:
- those who have been injured (physically or psychologically);
- those who care for people who have been injured in this way; and
- those who have been bereaved.
If you have been affected in any of these ways and feel that you need some support, please contact us. Our Client Services Team is ready to speak with you in confidence, to find options for help that may be available.
For example, we can help you to identify relevant support in your area. We fund organisations across the region to deliver services specifically for victims and survivors. These services are delivered free of charge, and range from counselling and complementary therapies to practical welfare advice, befriending, and other social support.
In some cases, we may be able to assist you directly, through the Individual Needs Programme. This is a funding Programme that enables us to offer financial assistance in certain circumstances.
The new Individual Needs Programme will operate from April 2017 onwards. It will focus on delivering services based on need.
The new Programme will incorporate the following elements:
For existing clients registered with VSS by 31 March 2017, who have been confirmed eligible for the current 2016/17 Programme:
- A £500 Self Directed Assistance Payment for all eligible clients;
- A £500 Additional Needs Payment to:
- Those who are bereaved of a spouse/partner or both parents as a direct result of the Conflict, and
- Those identified as Seriously Injured under the 2016-2017 Programme criteria;
- A separate £200 payment may be available to those who require support to transition to our needs based approach; and
- Full access to services and support to meet needs in relation to Psychological Therapies, Persistent Pain, Disability Support, Education and Training, or Advocacy.
For new individuals coming forward from 3 April 2017 onwards:
- Full access to services and support to meet needs in relation to Psychological Therapies, Persistent Pain, Disability Support, Education and Training, or Advocacy. We cannot offer direct financial payments to new individuals coming forward from 3 April 2017 onwards.
Our aim is to improve the Programme by making it easier for you to use. The changes will also ensure that as many victims and survivors as possible gain access to services and support that they need.
If you are already registered with the VSS, we will write to you directly towards the end of April to provide you with more information about the new Programme.
If you are not yet registered with the VSS and would like to find out more about the services and support that may be available to you, please contact us on 02890 279100. Our team will take your details and send you the relevant information in the post.